Friday, January 21, 2011

Knitted Hat and My Son

I am still studying the instructions for the socks (OK, I am a little scared to get started) so I knitted up a hat on #15 circular knitting needles with the help of a you tube video.






The directions were great but I made my first hat too big around and too short. It also said to decrease on the top which I did.




So I made another one! I made it longer and instead of decreasing on the top I just bound off, turned it inside out, and then with the yarn that was still attached I wove it through the stitches on top, gathered it and tied off. Looks and fits so much better!




Now I am so very excited that I mastered the knitting and the circular needles and actually knitted a hat that I have to go find someone in the house to share it with! I put on my hat and go searching out someone, anyone. My husband is out snow blowing. I think he knew I was close to being done. I singled to him and he points to his ears that he can't hear me. "Didn't he already go over that path"? Oh well, I take a picture of my hat and send it to my both my daughters. Nothing. I call both girls and get their voice mail. I HAVE to share this with someone. I hear my son (who is 24) in the next apartment and proceed to knock on his door. (he has no warning)




He says come in and I bound in wearing my hat talking a mile a minute telling him all the intricate details of what I did and how I had to change the top...and...and ..You see my son is smarter than my husband because he grew up with 2 sisters, no brothers, and ME. He strategically places me in front of (to the side of) the TV so it looks like he is looking at me, nodding his head, but is really playing his Wii. He is saying "a huh, a huh" until I break the cardinal rule. I ask him to try it on! You see Joe is an avid hiker so naturally I would want to make him something to wear in the winter. He says "Ahhh I have alot of hats and it won't fit me and...... I put it on him! His girlfriend is trying not to laugh. "If I make it a little longer to cover your ears...."


But I had a lot of fun making the hat and feel great that I mastered another craft! If what your doing doesn't come out exactly like you want just jump right in and try it again!

4 comments:

  1. Doesn't it makes you feel good when you accomplish something you've always wanted to try. They are super cute! Did it take you long to learn? Keep on crafting & blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not long at all Karen! The circular needles were so easy to use with a simple knit stitch. I used a #15 needles with wool-ese bulky yarn. I am practicing purling so I can do the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It figures you would write about your ONLY son first. lol Love ya mommy

    ReplyDelete